Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Aspen Vista Collar, CPAP, Pronex, Saunders Traction ...

Welcome,

This is the very first time I have ever created a blog spot before, so please be patient with me as I learn:-) I'm sure you will see how this site will grow and become more interactive and interesting. By the way, does anyone have a magic wand to wave to give me a few more weeks before the year is over?

I came back from New York with a long list of medical equipment I needed to get, and so far I've almost gotten everything. I'm learning so much about selling medical equipment, that if my health were a little better, I'd sure consider doing it:-)

The Aspen Cervical Collar: Purchasing the Aspen Cervical Collar has thus far been the easiest. It took 4 phone calls until I was able to find a Medical Rep, and one willing to come to my home. I'm using it now a few hours each day. I'm to wear it around the house, and when I am a passenger in a car. I cannot use it as a driver until I get additional mirrors on my car to see blind spots.

CPAP: I was also successful last week in getting my CPAP machine, but have not yet started using it yet. I will ease into that I'm sure. Hopefully, by sleeping better at night, it will improve my oxygen levels as well, and help me to feel less tired during the day. Because the brain fluid is backed up in my brain right now, I'm having compression on parts of my anatomy in my brainstem that is causing me throat obstruction when I sleep, and choking and coughing when awake.

Currently I stop breathing 21 times an hour at night (which is considered modest sleep apnea), but what happens that causes me the most sleep distruption is that I wake up during REM sleep. My eyes are wide open, I'm choking and cannot get air, and my body is paralyzed (I cannot move at all). During REM, the body releases a substance to tell the muscles to basically rest. When that happens, the next day I'm a zombie. I'm pretty much like sleeping beauty right now, maybe not the beautiful part (LOL), but definenitely the sleeping part!

Pronex Neck Traction: On Friday I will meet with a Medical Rep, and test out the Pronex Neck Traction machine. Why so much traction you ask? Well, the theory is that maybe if we can lift my skull, it will open up just enough that it will improve the flow of CSF. If that happens, then my Chiari symptoms may improve. Unfortunately, the Pronex is made partly out of latex (which I have a sensitivity to) so I wont be able to use it, but I have found a wonderful substitute, The Saunder's Home Cervical Traction Device. It's what most PT offices use here in MN. I like it because it has a gauge so you can see how much weight you are using for traction. While I realize that all these medical devices are a temporary fix for a more serious problem, I welcome anything that will improve my quality of life right now. And for many, traction can work for a long time.

To learn more about these medical devices see the links on the side column.

Come back later, I hope to have more bells and whistles on my blog by the weeks end. Maybe photography, poems, quotes, U-Tube links, etc. Stay warm and stay safe, enjoy a hot cup of tea or hot chocolate and watch a Christmas Movie for holiday cheer. I watched Elf last night for the 100th time, makes me laugh for sure!

Connie

No comments:

Post a Comment